My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Vacations


Now that it's June, I see summer vacations with a parent's eye. This of course, is far different than a kid's viewpoint. Vacations for kids are seemingly endless days of summer, each day lasting approximately 3.2 years. Those days allow for bike rides, ball games, hours on the gaming consoles and double feature videos just about every night. Throw in the one or two camping trips and the whole summer vacation is complete (as long as there is an internet wi-fi site nearby).

Now it's all making sense. I remember seeing my folks looking a bit wild-eyed around the middle of June - I mean, more than usual. When I did think about it, I passed it off as one of those weird things parents do on occasion. Then I went back to my Chocolate Coated Sugar Bomb and Marshmallow Cereal for breakfast. I was happy.

Now I know.

The almost overwhelming panic that hits, when you as a parent, realize that your little (or not so little) kidlet will now be with you 24/7 starting the last day of school. This can paralyze even the strongest parent at times. If both spouses work, the juggling of time and shift schedules resembles a launch of the Space Shuttle. Why, oh why, didn't we enrol the darlings in year-around schooling??

It only gets better when the camping trip week arrives. As a kid, we were told to pack our things and bring them out to the car. This packing consisted of the comic books, walkman (yes, walkmans. Folks, explain what cassette tapes are to your kids), two t-shirts, a pair of underwear and the swimsuit. This can hold a kid for at least two weeks, especially if you leave the underwear on underneath the swimsuit. Once at the campground, the tent appeared, the picnic table was set up and laden with goodies and we were off to the lake. That was the extent of our planning.

Now it's my turn to be the parental unit. I had been looking forward to introducing my kids to the joys of camping and communing with nature, with marshmallows and campfire songs. So my darling wife and I started to plan the trip.

The first three days of consisted of planning the menu and shopping for supplies. The toughest part of that chore was keeping the kids out of the new provisions. Then the locating of all the camping gear commenced in earnest. Stoves, chairs, sleeping pads, tents with poles and pegs. Don't forget the sleeping bags and pillows, cook stove and propane, cooking pots, wash basins, utensils, wash clothes and the million and one other things required to "rough it" in the wilderness of a provincial campground. Oh yeah, NEVER forget the toilet paper.


On to packing the vehicle. The first time I packed the van, I made the mistake of packing in the evening with the kids safely ensconced in bed. By the time I was finished, we had to slide them into their seats via the front passenger door. Lesson learned. 

The second time, I had the kids help pack everything. Leaving the only tent in the garage while merrily driving to the mountains is not on the recommended list for comfort and family relations. Lesson learned, again. 

Third time lucky, I put the kids in their respective seats and packed around them. This allowed for maximum cargo space as well as building the requisite walls around each child to prevent the fights and arguments from erupting, seeing that none of the kids could actually see each other. Definitely a keeper.

While having the so-called relaxing camping trip, my wife and I got up before the kids, made breakfast for them, helped them get the water to clean up with and the wood to make a fire. Then it was hiking them to the lake, hiking them back, making the lunch, cleaning up, getting more wood, hiking them around, bringing them back, cooking dinner, cleaning up, setting up the campfire, giving out marshmallows, retrieving marshmallows from the fire, cooking new marshmallows and getting the kids to bed by midnight.

 I have never been so glad to get back to work and relax. Who needs vacations anyway...



No comments:

Post a Comment