My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Friday, May 18, 2012

To Do or Not To Do...Will Have To Do


I have at least five projects ready to start for this summer. Well, maybe only three, but it depends on how you count them. I’d like the count to be zero but even I know that’s not going to happen.

The front patio project involves pulling up the paving stones from the side of the house and putting them down in the front of the house. I can’t get the grass to grow there anyway, so I might as well put the pavers there and save my feet from sharp, dead grass. The pavers will give the ants in the front yard another space for their condos. How environmental is that? Maybe it’s just mental…

Of course, the patio leads directly to project two. With the pavers gone from the side of the house, I’ll have to sod the area and put down a new sidewalk. It will be a normal size of sidewalk, not the twelve foot wide one I have now. It’s on the west side of the house, which means that after noon, the present paver patio there starts to capture every erg of energy from the Sun. By three o’clock, you can fry an egg on the sidewalk and rotisserie a chicken by holding it up to the aluminum siding. Saves a ton of money on propane, but I still end up pan-frying my feet while I cook.

The third project involves my daughter’s bedroom. One evening we (meaning my darling wife) decided to pull up the wall-to-wall carpet in her room. Apparently there was a funny smell in the room, and my wife thought it was from the carpet. I said it was a teenager’s room, what do you expect? We took up the carpet anyway. So now I have to fix all the squeaks in the floor and find a new carpet to install.

I kind of like the rustic-industrial look of the subfloor plywood. It could be a new trend, very avant-garde. I mentioned this to my wife and daughter, only to receive a long silence in reply. Back to looking for carpet.

Staying with the theme, it looks like the basement family room carpet will be the next to go. I can actually smell an interesting aroma once in a while, and it’s not the kids. It’s probably the only time I really wished it was teen-generated. Of course, the most daunting task will be finding room to store all the junk, I mean, treasures that all family rooms accumulate.

It really doesn’t look like much, until you try to recruit help to move it. Then suddenly, all your children have become gainfully employed and will be out of the house for the next few days, or however long it takes you to move the furniture. Once everything is back in place, the kids all reappear. Funny how that works.

The final project will be to repaint the master bedroom. We originally painted it when we first moved in, a bright, rubber ducky yellow. Bright enough to read at night, without the aid of a lamp. Bright enough that if we don’t draw the curtains all the way closed, the light of the full moon will make it look like 7:00 am. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cheery colour. I’d just like to sleep through the night without eyeshades. My turn to pick the colour. I just have to make sure that my darling is away for a few days before I pick up the paint. Then I can get the room done and move all the furniture back and present it as a fait accompli.

Don’t laugh. It may work. If nothing else, I’ll get practice with a paintbrush for when I repaint the week after.

So there you go. Five projects, some of which are interconnected. I have until the September Long Weekend to finish them all. Feel free to start a pool on how many (if any) I finish. Remember, I get half the winnings. I’ll need them to pay for the painkillers…

No comments:

Post a Comment