My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Friday, February 3, 2012


I learned a new song last night. Didn’t mean to, didn’t really want to, but this morning, I woke up and there it was. Stuck in my head and it wouldn’t go away. The worst part was I could only remember one line and part of the chorus and that stuff was running through my head on a continuous loop.

This has happened every day for the last few weeks. A different song every morning. It would be great if I were a DJ for a living, not so great since I’m a writer. I have to be able to hear the voices in my head, not have them drowned out by music.


Don’t get me wrong – I love music. I pretty much always have some tunes playing in the background as I work. Generally a variety, although there are times when I need a particular type playing. Orchestral music for the very technical work (no singing), pop/rock for general pounding on the keyboard (because of the general pounding of the backbeat), rap (never) and really sappy love songs when the kids are in the same room interrupting my work. Clears the area in a heartbeat and then I can get back to the good stuff.

Waking up to music is also a pretty good thing, if it’s coming from a radio or stereo. Not from in my head. This morning, I was just getting into the song as I was waking up.  Then I couldn’t remember the next line and the loop in my mind went right back to the chorus. Try as I might, I could not get past the break.

It’s pretty frustrating, considering I used to sing in a choral group back in High School. Yes, I actually sang in a group of real singers and was on the football team at the same time. Yes, that does sound familiar doesn’t it? Do ya think I should get some royalties from that TV show?

Anyway, to get back to the music. Has this happened to you? You have this tune running through your head and you can’t remember the name or artist and as soon as you ask someone to help you, you can’t remember the song.

So far, every morning this week for me. While I’m waking up, I can actually see the artist and the song name in my mind. If I go to tell someone, it’s like a magic trick and everything disappears. It’s driving me crazy but on the upside, it’s providing some morning entertainment for my family.

I sometimes wish I had a musical memory like my darling wife. I bet she can sing every song she’s ever heard in her entire lifetime. I mean, even the really old tunes from the 70’s that everyone wants to forget! When I hear one of the old songs – that was really terrible – I give thanks that I don’t have a photographic memory.

Maybe that’s what’s happening to me now. Have you noticed that all the new songs are really the old songs redone by upcoming artists? It just kills me to hear a DJ on the radio say “...and here’s a brand new song, just released by [insert name here]...” and it’s the same song your parents hated when you were a kid.

It is fun to mess with the kid’s minds when a supposedly new song comes on the radio and both my wife and I can sing along. They have no idea.

Now, if I can only forget the songs as I go to bed. I have a terrible feeling that I’m singing in my sleep, or in a nightmare about being on stage in Las Vegas and only able to remember the ‘Happy Birthday’ tune. I know! I’ll get the voices in my head to sing along! If we get good enough, maybe we’ll tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment