My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Friday, January 27, 2012

Resolutions

So when I finished putting up the Christmas lights for this season, I had an epiphany of sorts.

I tried a different method this year, one I don’t think I’ve ever tried before. I put up the lights in the dark. Yep, started at 5:30 pm. The sun had been down for about an hour. I was smart enough to make sure the temperature was right around zero Celsius and not as cold as two years ago when I had the boys help me and it was about -20 C (but sunny). That was just a learning opportunity for them. I also learned that they had a bigger vocabulary than I thought, so it was a win-win all around.


I find I am having quite of few of these learning moments lately. With two out of three kids out on their own, the house has suddenly become very, very quiet. Not cemetery quiet, but close, at least during the day. Doors stay closed, lights remain off and there aren’t so many weird sounds emanating from different parts of the house. Think of it as a reverse haunted house experience. Kind of nice in a weird sort of way. Takes some getting used to, though...

There are some things that take no time getting used to. The fridge stays full and the there is still gasoline in the cars. And hot water. There always seems to be enough hot water. I love that. I really do.

 My darling wife and I can actually have a conversation these days about something other than where the kids need to be and who has to go to what meeting. Don’t get me wrong – we still have those conversations. We just realized we can have different ones. The problem is we sometimes don’t know what to talk about, so if you have any cool ideas or subjects, please send them to us.

I’ve even learned about making New Year’s resolutions. I gave up years ago and I’m pretty sure I won’t make any resolutions this year either. I used to make about ten at a time and actually kept up with a couple for more than a few weeks one year.

I came to realize that making these resolutions was only a way to try and impress the girls around me at the time. Then I met the woman of my dreams, tried to impress her the same way and still didn’t keep the resolutions. She married me anyway.

A few years later, I figured out that I didn’t have to go to all the trouble. There was no need to do all the macho, chest-thumping, testosterone-fuelled antics designed to impress the ladies. You may not think that making New Year’s resolutions ranks very high on the macho scale, but you don’t realize how tough those resolutions were. Like giving up chocolate and exercising regularly. Or driving the speed limit. You know, life-altering things...

Nowadays, I try to reflect on what’s happened over the past year, see where I may have made a wee mistake and try to change my habits so I don’t make the same mistake again. Generally, I don’t repeat my mistakes - I just find new ways to test the patience of those around me. That way we all get to enjoy the learning moments.

Oh yeah, the epiphany. I’m terrible at hanging Christmas lights. I always (okay, almost always) have this great plan in my head and when I finally get off the ladder to pop a few ibuprofen, the results are less than impressive. But you know, one of these days it may, just may, work out.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment