My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Friday, March 2, 2012

Building Lessons


I think I’ve learned a lot throughout the years about building and handyman stuff. Mostly because I have old things that break often. But I try to learn from my mistakes, (like not reading the directions first) and by the mistakes made by others. Sometimes I learn even when I don’t want to…

I seem to remember a lot of home improvement was started in our house due to what looked like random occurrence.
We lived in a two-storey home with attached garage on the side. The garage became our family room one year because as Dad was backing the car in after a camping trip, the bumper of the car clipped the side of the garage door frame and knocked the overhead door support off the opening. Silly car.

A few weeks later (with a substantially larger ‘adult’ vocabulary), we had a framed in window instead of a garage door and a new family room.

The cars remained parked on the street for the next couple of years. One winter morning, Dad went out to start the car and saw that the extension cord for the block heater had been cut, most likely by a kid skating down the sidewalk to go to the rinks at the end of the street. Yes, we could skate on our sidewalks back then. No, it wasn’t the last Ice Age either. Don’t be cheeky.

So that Spring, Dad decided to build a double carport off the back alley. He and Mom went wandering around the neighbourhood, measuring tape and pad in hand, measuring all the double garages they could find. Dad kept measuring all the door widths, Mom would dutifully write them down and when he could get into a yard without getting caught, Dad would measure the depth of the garage.

After the fourth or fiftieth door measurement, Mom asked why they were measuring only the doorway and not the full width of the garage. Dad said something about standards, and he would add the extra width later – he just wanted to see how much room we needed.

Time passed, the deck area was built and it was time to set the posts for the roof of the carport. I had the post holes dug, all nine of them, four feet deep. Dad decided to mix the cement up and pour each hole as we set the posts, Mom was watching from the deck and as the first couple went in, she mentioned that they looked pretty close together, did Dad check the width?

As he struggled with a 12 by 12 post, he said yes, he did check the width, it’s just fine, I’m a little busy right now, dear. As we set the last post, Dad went up onto the deck and told my sister and me to drive the cars in to see how they fit.

My sister pulled in Dad’s car and I followed carefully with Mom’s. As I eased into place, I saw Mom look up at Dad, slowly shake her head and walk back into the house. There was about three inches of room on each side of the car and about two inches between the cars. You could park, but you couldn’t get out. Dad forgot about the extra three feet on each side.

More adult vocabulary examples and exhortations to get the cars out of the way so we could pull the posts before the concrete set.

We managed to get three side posts out, but had to cut the others. After lots of measuring, mumbling and the odd stiff drink, it was decided to cut away another five feet of backyard to make enough room. This meant pulling up the sidewalk stones and digging five feet in and three feet deep. This was probably my biggest learning moment I have ever had regarding renovations and construction.

Pay attention now. Whenever the boss/foreman/father makes a slight, six-foot error, do not make eye contact or bring his attention to the aforementioned error. This will result in you becoming far too familiar with shovels, pickaxes and manual post-hole diggers.

Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment