My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Monday, June 13, 2011

Showers

I made it. I finally made it. The plan this morning was to go for a walk first thing with my darling wife and our goofball of a dog. We could be up and out for a brisk thirty minute walk and be back in time to see the kids appear sleepily from rooms, look at the clock and then do the mad morning dash to get ready for school. That never gets old. Then it would be a quick shower and right downstairs to write a column or two.

The walking part went well and the breakfast entertainment did not fail to entertain. A jump into the shower and all would be well with the world. Just as I was about to reach for the bathroom doorknob, my phone buzzed with a text message. Heaven forbid that the kids would talk to me face to face. It’s way easier to thumb communicate, even though they weren’t even five minutes out the door.

Apparently, one of them forgot a vital piece of work that had to, just had to make it to school for first period. Oh yeah, and please bring the band uniform that was supposed to be handed in last year.

After scrounging around gathering all the required items, I hopped into the van and did my best delivery boy impression. Maybe one day I might actually get a tip.

Just as I got back into the house, my darling wife asked if I could do a favour for her. There was a package she needed for work that she had been looking for, for some time and the store finally got it in. There was no chance that she could get in to the City and pick it up as they were ramping up for a big presentation. No problem – the hot water tank probably hadn’t refilled yet anyway.

An hour and a half later, I was back with the package, duly delivered, fully intact. Still waiting for that tip. The house was finally empty (except for the dog. Thankfully she hates showers) and I had a full hot water tank to myself.

Then the phone rings. I really should know better by this time. Yes, I answered it. Sorry, but 25 years answering phones for a living has ingrained a few bad habits. I finished the call and was running upstairs to the bathroom and noticed a few items of laundry on the stairs, so I quickly threw them into the laundry room hampers. The hampers threw them back at me. Okay, time to put a load of laundry in. It shouldn’t take too much water – I put it on a cold wash cycle. Don’t tell my wife.

I went upstairs and stood at the entrance to the kitchen. It was a bit of a mess and it was also time for lunch. I cleaned up the worst of it and actually found something healthy to make. Lunch with my darling is always a treat. She reminded me I had to get to the bank today and the recycling was overflowing. Since I had the van for the day, it was my turn.

As I went out the door, I swear I could hear the shower curtain waving goodbye.

Out to the recycling center, then the bottle depot, then the bank. Oops, don’t forget to drop the movie we probably had for a day or two too long. Run into the grocery store, grab a few essentials. Get back home and see that the dog has eaten the loaf of bread that was cooling on the counter. Back out to the store for another loaf. Return to the house, throw another load of laundry in, grab stuff out for dinner, start the prep. Look longingly at the bathroom. Make dinner, harass the kids to clean up, make sure all their homework is done.

Oh my. I still have a writing deadline. Still haven’t thought of what to write about. Think, think, think. Bug the kids to get to bed and make sure they have made their lunches. Finally it comes to me – and here I am. The article is written. Now, I am going up for a shower. Don’t phone, don’t ring the doorbell. It may be midnight but the shower is mine, all mine…

No comments:

Post a Comment