My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Thunderstorms and Bicycles


I had decided that in order to save money and get into shape, I would ride my bike to work during the spring and summer. The thing was, I was living at the bottom of a river valley and the airport where I worked was up on the flats, ten kilometers away with an elevation gain of 240 meters. That's six miles and 800 feet, for you Imperial folks.

It worked out reasonably well, except for the first week of riding. That was (and still is) a long hill. Really long. And I always was heading into the prevailing wind. The worst part was after I had a shower and cleaned up at the airport, I still had to climb three flights of stairs to get to the office. That final staircase took about twenty minutes sometimes.

Anyway, I survived the first week and the second and so on and I was becoming pretty comfortable riding to work. It took me about forty-five minutes to an hour to get there and only twenty minutes to get home. The downhill going home was a nice commute.

One evening I kissed my darling wife goodbye, hopped on the bike and started up the hill. The day had been a hot one and there were thunderstorms forecast for the area. The sun was still shining and even if it rained, I figured that it would only help cool me down on the long uphill run.

I had just reached the edge of town when the heavens opened up on me. Some sneaky little thunderstorm cloud came up from behind and turned on the taps. It took about 2.53 seconds for me to become completely soaked and the saddlebags on the bike to fill up completely with water. It was like being in front of a fire hose. I ducked into the gas station on the side of the road to wait out the storm and empty the saddlebags.

It was a stubborn storm cloud. It hung out over the gas station long enough to potentially make me late. As I got on the phone to call my wife to come and pick me up, the rain abated.

Did I mention this was s sneaky storm? As it appeared to clear up and the sun started to shine out from behind it, I told my darling that I would continue on and not to worry, I could make it to work now. I hopped on my bike, with just a sprinkling of rain falling and headed out of town.


I hadn't been riding for more than thirty seconds when there was a huge FLASH and a simultaneous cascade of thunder, as a lightning bolt hit a transformer about a hundred feet from me.

Before you could say "holycrapthatwascloseletsgetoutofhere", the primitive part of my brain swung into action. Without conscious thought, I had turned that bike around like I was on a BMX track doing a mid-air jump and was hightailing it down the hill. But that sneaky cloud wasn't finished playing with me. It kept right on top of me, soaking me for the full twelve minutes it took to get home. I didn't have to have a shower for two weeks, there was so much rain pouring over me.

It even suckered my wife in. It was raining so hard that she jumped into the van to come get me and as she was heading onto the on-ramp, I was heading off on the off-ramp. It took another twenty minutes to meet in the middle, but both of us and the van were completely clean!

I finally did get to work, my darling wife taking me and my bike to work in the van so I could ride home in the morning. It would have been a nice ride home, except that the thundercloud told his cousin the East Wind to make an appearance just as I was heading home.

You know it's going to be a tough day when you have to peddle downhill…


No comments:

Post a Comment