My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Monday, August 29, 2011

Losing your Mind


Have you ever lost your mind? I have. Take my advice – once you lose your mind, don’t bother looking for it. There are better things to do than look for something that’s only going to get you into trouble.

It’s like forgetting your lady’s birthday, your anniversary or Valentine’s Day. You know these dates come every year, so put them in the smart phone, send them to your own email address or better yet, staple a note to your forehead at the beginning of the year. That way, your girl can rip the reminder off your head and hand it to you a couple of days beforehand. Believe me, it’s cheaper than a data plan for your phone. And a lot less painful than trying to apologize for missing an important date...


It’s like going out to get a jug of milk and a dozen eggs and coming back with a case of pop, three bags of chips, a surround sound system and a new nail gun. Doesn't matter that you’ve never done any home reno’s – ever – it’s a nail gun and every man should have one. So yes, you’ll have to go out again, before the game starts and pick up the milk and eggs. Make sure to pick up some flowers, it will help. Most of the grocery stores have the “please forgive me” section now.

Some would argue (my darling wife being one) that it’s not like we lose our minds somewhere, it more like we never really had them around in the first place. I’d argue the fact, except it may be that she’s right. Not completely, but close enough that I’d lose anyway. Some (women) would say that I’m finally learning. Maybe.

I’d like to think that guys look at the big picture and let the little, annoying details take care of themselves. I’d really like to think that. More than you know.

Men are there to hunt big game, plough forward on projects, squish the spiders that get into the kitchen. We see strategies developing during the big game and can adapt our game plan in a heartbeat. We see that we need to fix the nail holes in the bathroom, so we pull down all the drywall and pull up all the flooring, change the plumbing and make the bathroom perfect. Yes, it may take us two or three days/months/years, but it will get done, because we have the big picture firmly in our minds. Those pesky details about paint colour and tile matching all take care of themselves, somehow. All that material seems to be delivered right on time, just when we need them.

Really, when you think about it, if you have a good grasp on the big picture, those little details will actually take care of themselves. Why? Because that’s how Mother Nature designed things. She knew that men had to be the way we are in order to survive and make sure our families survive. That’s why she made women, the perfect complement to men, just like men are the perfect complement to women.

So it’s not like we lose our minds, ladies. We’re there to take care of the big decisions and let the little decisions take care of themselves. Luckily, there haven’t been any big decisions to worry about yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment