My Thanks -

I have to thank a couple of people for getting me started on this. First, my darling wife, for giving me the confidence to send my writing to our local paper.
Then to our friend Megan, who kept bugging me to show my 'voice' to others.
Finally, to editor & publisher, Darryl Mills, for letting me take up space in his paper. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
It's all their fault...

Sunday, January 16, 2011

So much for keeping up...

Okay, who made the time go by so quickly already? We got the tree down and back into the garage just after New Year's, vacuumed the carpet and today I look at the calendar and apparently, it's now January 16th.
I thought there was a rule that time only sped up on your weekends and/or holidays, or the two weeks prior to school starting. That's the way I remember it, anyway.


I'm looking at my desk and see that work has been done, so I know time has passed somewhat productively. I think.

It's tough to tell sometimes, 'cause there are days when I just shuffle one pile of junk to another spot and attempt to "organize" my life. It is technically work, because there was movement and lifting and filing and such. Ask my son, he's taking Physics in school and he said because I expended energy, it's classified as work. Maybe not good work, but work nonetheless.



Maybe it's the cold weather we've had lately. It's been a long time since this area has had such a sustained bout of cold weather. In this land of the Chinooks (not schnooks), waiting more than two weeks for warm weather is considered a seriously bad stretch of winter. It's worse when the Weather Office says we'll get to plus five degrees in two days, yet every time we see the forecast, the temperature change is STILL two days away. Not fair.


I know I shouldn't be such a whinger, especially since I spent a considerable time in the northern parts of Canada, but there are some expectations when you live in certain areas. In the Yukon, it will be cold from September 6th until April 15th. In Peace River, there will be jet boats on the river from 8:00 am 'til 11:00 pm every day of the summer, just because they can. And in southern Alberta, we are supposed to get Chinooks every two weeks, so we can wash our cars properly during the winter.


The only thing that's helping me not panic about Time flying by, is that we're on our way to Spring, with more sunlight and (supposedly) warmer weather. Which means I'll have to take the Christmas lights down eventually, but as with every good thing, there has to be a corresponding pain in the backside. Isaac Newton made that a law, or so my son says. Something about every action has an equal and opposite reaction. 


Ain't Physics grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment